TEGs can power self-recharging ultra-low power wireless systems (WSN), Body Area Networks (to monitor vital signs/ medical conditions) and industrial monitoring sensors.
There are patent applications and know-how related to this Technology.
Energy harvesting aims at replacing or complementing batteries using ambient heat by means of micro-Thermoelectric Generators (TEG), promising years of maintenance-free operation. TEGs can power self-recharging ultra-low power wireless systems (WSN), Body Area Networks (to monitor vital signs/ medical conditions) and industrial monitoring sensors. Appropriate DC-DC-Converter tech-nology that is efficient at low voltage is crucial when it comes to latest higher efficiency and flexible thermoelectric structures that can provide useful levels of electrical power from temperature differentials in the range from 1 to 5 °C. Never-theless, state of the art low voltage DC-DC converters have too high cold-start voltages for emerging high-impedance TEGs.
- Autonomous, self-recharging ultra-low power wireless system and networks
- Industrial monitoring
- Monitor vital signs and specific medical condi-tions using low cost sensors; wearable health de-vices, sport/ fitness hardware
- Portable and consumer devices
- Bridge/ Structural Health Monitoring (SHM), Smart Building Controls
- Environmental Monitoring; air & water quality monitoring
- Agricultural monitoring/ livestock, sensor-based growth optimization
- Smart textiles/ garments (able to sense stimuli from the environment and react or adapt to them in a predetermined way)
- Entertainment System Remote Controls, Toys and joke articles
- Life science; self-powered lab-on-a-chip
- Security and public safety
- High efficiency DC-DC converter technology for energy-autonomous embedded systems. Temperature difference of 1°C is enough to start charging a super capacitor
- Ultra-low power cold start capability (10µW @ Rout=300Ohm), 10 times better than best-in-class device BQ25504
- Supports ‘fit and forget’ rather than procedures for regular battery changes
- Operation at remote and hardly accessible lo-cations as well as in hazardous environment.
- Simple design, chip-integrable with few external components
- Reduces size and weight
- Able to handle latest high-impedance TEGs from Greenteg (92 to 353 Ohm) and Micropelt (170 to 300 Ohm)
- Bridges the gap between the vision and what is currently possible
- Easy implementation of power matching by constant duty cycle without any measurements
Collaboration and license agreement