The Frontrunner program is dedicated to investment projects in R&D, product- and process innovations, as well as expansion and growth. Ideally, the planned investments are connected to preceding research projects. This program is dedicated to help in pushing Austrian companies forward that are trying to become a global market- and/or technological leader within their industry sector. However, the Frontrunner grant may also be eligible for more established companies that already positioned themselves as a global player.
- Position as a global technological and/or market leader and companies on the verge of becoming a global player respectively
- High market share within the relevant industry segment
- High export quota
- High R&D-quota in relation to revenue
- Solid and profitable economic position
- A clear, formulated strategy on how the planned investment helps in reaching and maintaining the Frontrunner position
- the project is at least partially financed with an ERP-loan
- the project is in accordance with the aws regulations
- A maximum 10% grant of eligible investment- and development costs, capped at EUR 500.000
If all eligibility criteria are met and the company fits in the Frontrunner program, the aws formulates a positive recommendation which is, as a next step, coordinated with the Austrian Research Promotion Agency (FFG). The final approval is then made by the Federal Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology.
The Frontrunner program is open for continuous submission.